Saturday 21 January 2012

Tim Jacobs wins The Doctor in Perth

Image: Hanson Media
Tim Jacobs has won today in Perth (AUS) The Doctor, third competition of the Surfski World Series 2012. The australian stopped the time in 1h50'10", with Jasper Mocke 34" behind and Dawid Mocke third at 1'44".

This is Jacobs' second victory in a row at this race, celebrated under very different conditions of those expected between Rottnest Island and Sorrento Beach. The wind named "The Doctor", which gives its name to the competition and makes the 27.5 km. course a perfect downwind, didn't show up this morning. The paddlers had then a really tough day under a heavy sun.

312 contestants took the start and Clint Robinson quickly took the lead with a very strong pace, reducing the leading group to just four paddlers, himself, Jacobs and the Mocke brothers. He even went ahead on his own, moment that Jacobs seized to rehydratate and relax his arms. As seen afterwards, this was crucial.

Jasper Mocke and Tim Jacobs finally chased Robinson and then Jacobs started with his own pace facing the final kilometres and Robinson paid his effort with strong cramps in his arms, that finally made him fall down to seventh place at the finish line. Jasper couldn't either resist Tim's rythm and the australian avoided the sprint he didn't want at all.


"The pace through the first four kilometres was probably too fast and I knew we couldn't keep it up," said Jacobs. "It was important to try and paddle as relaxed as I could so I settled into a nice rhythm behind Clint. I could see how relaxed and fluent he was, looking around and aware of where he was, so I decided to do the same and to make  the most out of every little runner that came along. I just kept chasing and concentrating on my rhythm and with in a couple of kilometres I had pulled away. I wanted to make sure there was no sprint finish this year."

"It was pretty uncomfortable and when the cramping came it was all over," said Robinson ."But up until that point Tim and I and the Mocke boys were having great paddle. Tim is so experienced at these paddles he gave me a few tips as well. Next time I will take some salt tablets to help maintain my fluids".

In ladies category, Ruth Highman claimed a comfortable victory after a great paddle in 2h15'36", with Claire Duncan and Kylie Broad in second and third position. In the SUP discipline, the young hawaiian sensation Connor Baxter was the winner among the 39 contestants.

All the results at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment